The Top 10 Job Skills of 2021
The most in-demand job skills generally follow technological advancements, and this is certainly true for 2021. Tech skills are more sought after than ever, and so are the soft skills that support better collaboration and management.
Here are the top 10 job skills to focus on for the upcoming year:
- Cloud computing: As Indeed reports, cloud computing skills are in high demand because more businesses are moving their operations to the cloud. Cloud engineers develop and manage clouds where companies store and backup their data.
- Machine learning: Machine learning engineers build programs that allow machines to use acquired data to perform functions without being specifically instructed what to do.
- Artificial intelligence: An AI engineer leverages deep learning neural networks and machine learning algorithms to derive business insights, which decision makers can then use to make effective business choices.
- Creativity: It isn’t just important in professions like marketing and advertising—it’s also valuable when coming up with new ideas and turning them into projects that will benefit a business.
- Critical thinking skills: These skills enable you to look at a situation from every perspective and determine how best to address it.
- Communication skills: Communication skills include clearly explaining your thoughts in spoken and written form, as well as being able to listen actively and understand what the other person is saying. In addition, it involves being able to communicate via video chat and collaboration apps, which have both become much more important over the past year.
- Sales leadership: This is an ability that can be used across many different industries, since sales is ultimately what all businesses rely on to be profitable. Sales leadership involves the ability to determine where to focus sales efforts, as well as what data and tools to use to close deals.
- Analytics: Thanks to advancements in technology, businesses can collect and process more data than ever before. As a result, they need people with analytical skills who can analyze situations or challenges and based on the data, determine the actions that will be most beneficial to the company.
- People management: Managing people is all about ensuring employees have what they need to do their jobs well, while being able to work towards and achieve their own professional objectives. This involves understanding the personal motivation of each individual and understanding how to tie that into the business’s goals.
- Collaboration: Teamwork is grounded in trust and is essential to success. Because in today’s world, teamwork can involve working with people remotely, you need to be able to build trust with others who you don’t see in person.
According to Investopedia, to market yourself to employers, it’s important to develop your technical abilities and your soft skills. You can do the former by taking courses to master new areas of tech. Soft skills, on the other hand, are something you simply need to practice either at work, or other opportunities like volunteering.
Our strong, long-term connections—with the most admired companies—mean a new world of possibilities for your career. Find your new job today!