Top 3 Ways to Succeed at Your New Scientific Job
Demonstrate that you’re team oriented:
- Be helpful to the rest of the team by volunteering your assistance when possible or helping out when asked.
- Share credit with your team.
- Adopt the team’s communication styles. For example, if they use direct messaging instead of walking over to each other’s cubicles, you should do so as well.
- Accept invitations for social events. Your co-workers want to get to know you, so if you’re invited to lunch or an after-work event, accept the invitation.
- Make sure to be one of the first to arrive and one of the last to leave.
- Be punctual for all team meetings.
- Ask your manager what’s expected of you so you’re clear on what your responsibilities are and when they need to be accomplished.
Demonstrate your professionalism:
- Always complete your core responsibilities on time.
- Go the extra mile when necessary.
- Look for opportunities to demonstrate your skills, for example by volunteering to lead a project.
- Treat everybody on the team with respect.
- Refrain from gossiping or other negative behavior.