Top ideas for team outings
Summer’s a great time to treat your team to an outing. The weather’s mild or even warm, the days are longer, and your team members are generally happier and more energetic. If you need some help coming up with a fun activity, the following list can help.
- Outdoor paintball: Are your team members competitive? If so, a game of outdoor paintball might be just the thing. Divide the group into two teams, get everyone suited up — and let the games begin!
- Scavenger hunt: There are plenty of organizations that organize themed scavenger hunts — games in which the participants have to complete a series of tasks or collect a number of items while covering a specific route. For example, there are scavenger hunts with historical themes or sports themes. There are even zombie-themed ones. You can do a quick Internet search to find a scavenger hunt organizer near you.
- Potluck picnic at the beach: Take advantage of the sunshine and organize a fun lunch at the beach! If you don’t live on the coast, check out Hannah Loewentheil’s PureWow article “The Best Beach in Every Single U.S. State” to find a beautiful spot near you. Bring along a volleyball or frisbee, and ask your team members to each contribute something to eat or drink for a potluck picnic. Just one thing — don’t forget the sunblock!
- Nature hike: If you and your team are feeling adventurous, why not go for a nice nature hike? You can use an app like AllTrails to find great trails in your area, along with descriptions and reviews from people who’ve already walked them.
- Music festival: Is singing along with your favorite band more your jam? Then attend one of the numerous music festivals that are scheduled for the summer. JamBase is a handy site that allows you to search for festivals near you and buy tickets online.
- Food truck festivals: Satisfy your inner foodie by attending one of this summer’s many food truck festivals. Try out a wide range of tasty treats and yummy dishes in a friendly, laid-back atmosphere. You can check on EventBrite or simply do a search on “food truck festivals near me” to find a local event.
- Escape room: If the weather isn’t cooperating and you’d rather engage in an indoor activity, try an escape game. You and your team will have to solve puzzles, find clues, and perform tasks within an hour in order to “escape.” Good luck!
Team outings aren’t just fun — they’re also a great way for your people to bond. And that in turn can help build a more cohesive and productive team.
Have a staffing or workforce need? Complete this short form, your request will be routed to a Kelly representative and you will be contacted quickly to discuss your hiring need.